Registration as a Dietitian – New Zealand Graduates
The information here provides an overview of the registration requirements and processes; you must also read the following documents:
Registered Health Practitioners: Dietitian – this provides an overview of the legal framework for registration and practising dietetics in New Zealand
Information for New Zealand Graduating Students – this contains important information about the process of registration for those who have graduated from a New Zealand Dietetic Education Programme
English Language Requirements – If English is not your first language you must provide evidence of fitness for registration by demonstrating the required level of language proficiency.
Whatever your career path within the dietetics and nutrition fields it is important you are practising legally. Please take time to read the documents to familiarise yourself with the legal framework for health practitioners in New Zealand and the processes the Board has to ensure this framework is adhered to. If you have any questions about registration and practising, don’t hesitate to contact the Board by email or ‘phone.
Practising as a Dietitian in New Zealand
There are two steps to practising as a Dietitian in New Zealand:
- You must register with the Dietitians Board – usually you will do this only once in your career
- You must hold an Annual Practising Certificate. You need to renew this every year.
Qualification requirements for Registration
You can register as a Dietitian in New Zealand if you have:
- Masters of Dietetics from the University of Otago
- Master of Science (Nutrition and Dietetics) Massey University
- Master of Health Sciences in Nutrition and Dietetics from University of Auckland
Process for Registration
You can apply to Register anytime after you have handed in your thesis.
To Register you need submit an application to the Board:
- The application form is HERE. Please print off, complete and send this directly to the Board with certified copies of supporting documentation. DO NOT send originals.
- A criminal record check is also required, the correct form is HERE. Please send this directly to the Board.
- Your reference must be sent to the Board directly from your referee, again as a hard copy.
- The Board can’t complete your application for registration until we have confirmation that you have successfully completed your course.
- By submitting your application form early we can process preliminary information.
- On receipt of your application for Registration you will start to receive the Board’s regular newsletter and other important notices.
- DO NOT send in an application and payment for your APC until you have received your Registration Certificate.
- A Registration Certificate is provided to you once Registered and included in the Registration fee.
Working while you are in the process of registering / obtaining an APC
If you are working (including part time, voluntarily or other unpaid activity) before or during the registration and APC application process and that work is in any dietetic / nutrition / food related environment you must take care to ensure you work in accordance with the regulatory framework – check back to the Information for New Zealand Graduating Students and Practising legally in New Zealand.